A man has been fined and ordered to pay costs and victim surcharge after ignoring repeated warnings at a site in Worksop, Nottinghamshire.
The Environment Agency has successfully prosecuted the operator of an illegal waste site at Worksop in Nottinghamshire.
Andrzej Harytczak was fined £941 at Mansfield magistrates’ court last Thursday 27 April 2023.
He was also ordered to pay costs of £5,000 and a victim surcharge of £94.
Harytczak, 38, of Yeoman Close, Worksop, admitted that he had operated a waste site without the necessary environmental permits in Tranker Lane, Worksop, between 24 July and 28 September 2017 and between 25 April and 9 December 2019.
The court was told that the defendant had avoided paying approximately £20,000 in infrastructure costs and permitting fees.
Environment Agency officers launched an investigation following complaints about the site from early 2017.
They discovered that Harytczak was illegally storing construction and demolition waste, plus household waste. He was warned on several occasions that this type of activity would require a permit.
At a further site visit on 28 September 2017, Harytczak admitted he was using the yard to store garden waste.
Officers were called again to the site in April 2019 following further complaints of illegal storage and burning of waste.
On this occasion, officers viewed a large amount of mixed waste from construction and demolition sites. There was also evidence of a recent fire.
The defendant confirmed to officers he was in charge of the site and was advised to remove the waste.
Officers visited the site again on 14 May 2019 and found that the gates were locked, and large pieces of carpet had been draped over them preventing a view inside.
Further visits took place in 2019, and officers confirmed that the waste was still present.
On one occasion, the defendant was seen arriving with two others in a white Transit van containing what appeared to be waste.
At a formal interview on 13 February 2020, Harytczak admitted he had been conducting waste activities from the site.
A spokesperson for the Environment Agency said: “We welcome this sentence from the court that we hope will act as a deterrent to others considering flouting the law.
This site posed a significant environmental threat due to high risk of fire of fire and potentially significant impact to local communities and amenities.
Between 24 July 2017 and 28 September 2017, at Yard off Tranker Lane, Worksop, Andrzej Harytczak did operate a regulated facility, namely a waste operation for the deposit, treatment and storage of waste, except under and to the extent authorised by an environmental permit, contrary to regulations 12(1) and 38(1)(a) of the Environmental Permitting (England & Wales) Regulations 2016.
Between 25 April 2019 and 9 December 2019, at Yard off Tranker Lane, Worksop, Andrzej Harytczak did operate a regulated facility, namely a waste operation for the deposit, treatment and storage of waste, except under and to the extent authorised by an environmental permit.
This is contrary to regulations 12(1) and 38(1)(a) of the Environmental Permitting (England & Wales) Regulations 2016.
“We welcome this sentence from the court that we hope will act as a deterrent to others considering flouting the law.”Spokesperson for the Environment Agency