Mojatu Magazine & Digital
Amplifying authentic community voices & providing digital media literacy & skills
- About Mojatu Magazine
- Our Mission
- Our Vision
- Our Values
- What we value
- Services & Products
About Mojatu Magazine
Mojatu Magazine & Digital is a community media platform and service that amplifies authentic community voices while providing digital media literacy & skills to local communities. It is owned by Utulivu Women’s Group, a UK registered charity number 1118448, based in Reading.
Our coverage is rooted in local communities. To date, Mojatu Magazine & Digital recruits, trains, and reports from multiple locations in the UK (Berkshire, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire, and London) and in the Gambia, Kenya and Somalia.
We amplify authentic community voices through provision of digital media literacy and skills, platforms and networks for local community.
We recruit, train, and support local community journalists to diversify media voices and develop media literacy among communities whose voices are lacking or misrepresented in mainstream media.
To create and sustain media products that inform, engage and empower local communities by explaining what happens, why it is happening, what it means to local communities and how these communities can engage and participate in what is happening.
To ensure our media products showcase the works, share the views, and engage local communities more widely to make them assertive of their views and expectations.
To increase media literacy, skills and knowledge through training community journalists and enabling local communities to gain digital media literacy to understand and engage with media products, services, and personalities productive.
To provide journalism and media literacy and skills thereby diversifying media staff, especially increasing youths and women, and increasing opportunities for them to earn an income.
We are committed to accuracy, integrity, and independence by actively involving local communities and having a business model that relies on diversified streams of support. This ensures that that our readers and sources have the utmost confidence in the accuracy of our journalism; the fairness of our reporting process; and the independence of our stories.
We have adopted a code of ethics mojatu.com/ethics to govern the conduct of our team members and those we work with. We are committed to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging (DEIB), both in our journalism work and within our organisational culture. See our Statement on Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, & Belonging mojatu.com/mojatu-diversity-equity-inclusion-belonging
What we value
- Going local: We believe in skilling and working with local people and communities to ensure we put down roots in the communities we cover.
- Authentic community voices: We engage with local community journalists, our readers, and communities in ensuring the voices captures and amplified are a true reflection of the communities’ views, feelings and position.
- Knowledgeable audience: We are passionate about skilling local journalists, our readers, and communities thus cultivating the expertise and constant curiosity necessary to tell the vital and nuanced stories impacting on them with authority.
- Impact: Our mission on a mission is to amplify authentic community voices by getting the stories to the maximum people at the moments of greatest consequence. We do everything we can to bring stories, people, and stakes alive for readers so they can engage in informed action and debate because writing stories is not enough.
- Openness and diversity: We amplify voices that matter to local communities thus empowering them to participate fully in what is happening around them, including engaging fully in our operations and services. Our team and our reporting represent and are truly open to the communities we cover, especially the youths and women.
- Investing in ourselves: We strive to connect every member of our team with the opportunities and challenges they need to learn and grow. We can only tackle our audacious goal if we invest in our team’s ability to achieve it.
Services & Products
We offer several media services and products that include:
- Mojatu Magazine: These are published locally both in print and digitally on www.ssuu.com/mojatu.
- Mojatu.com: This is the main platform for our digital first contents.
- E-mail Newsletters: We offer e-mail updates through our diverse e-newsletters. Register now and select from the various e-mails.
Mojatu Magazine & Digital uses innovative local partnerships model to expand the reach of our work. To date, we publish and train in 2 continents and 4 countries being:
Derby FMB Radio CIC Address: Unit 7, The Howitt Wing Building, Lenton Boulevard, Nottingham, NG7 2BY Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Rafiki Wema CIC Address: Unit F1 89-93 Fonthill Rd, Finsbury Park, London N4 3JH Email email@example.com
Mojatu Foundation Address: Howitt Bldg, Lenton Blvd, Lenton, Nottingham, NG7 2BG, UK Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Utulivu Women Group Address: 334 Oxford Road, Reading, Berkshire, RG30 1AF, UK Email email@example.com
Youth Future Lab Address: Blue House Claycity, Kasarani, Nairobi Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Youth Future Lab Address: Borama, Somaliland Email email@example.com
Sight Tech Foundation Address: Gambia Email firstname.lastname@example.org